Dog Behavior and How it Should Guide Adoptions

Recently I have been scrutinized more than usual for being too difficult on potential adopters. I can always take the heat, but at the same time I attempt to keep an open mind, wondering if I could soften my tone or water down the scrutiny. But here is the issue. It's our organizations responsibility to ensure that once a dog is placed in a home that the environment is safe, secure and loving for both the pup and the family. In order to facilitate this decision, we focus on dog behavior. The more the potential family knows or is willing to learn, governs directly in how successful they will be with the chosen dog. In other words, if a family has only ridden a moped I am not going to let them have a Harley Davidson—especially if they are not wiling to learn how to ride it correctly.

To me focusing on dog behavior is common sense and all rescue facilities should make it standard practice. However, the hard truth is, most do not. Also, city, county and state dog shelters are so overwhelmed they need to adopt out dogs and simply do not have the resources nor time to ensure the dog will be a good fit for a family. Also, since they are funded by the state, if the adoption does not work out, the dog simply goes back into the system with little impact on the facility. Organizations such as ours do not have this luxury.

So here is where it can get sticky for some folks who want to adopt their next pal. If the potential adopter is not savvy about dog behavior or willing to learn, we know statistically speaking, that the adoption will not stick and we will get the dog back. Therefore, we are tough on these applicants and incredibly blunt about declining them. I understand why they get upset—especially in a society full of consumers who routinely receive what they want. And upset they are—calling me every name ever invented for the male genitalia. But here is the reality. I just saved them hours of heartache, trips to the ER and vet hospital. Why? Because if they do not know how to communicate to their pup, they have no chance for success—causing the dog to spiral down a incorrect path of nervous energy.

The net is, as of where our organization is now, I am exactly where I need to be on grilling adopters. Dogs are living souls who need good leaders and structure. These pups rely on us to make good educated decisions on what is best for them. If I hurt someone's feelings in the process, I can live with that.






Comments

  1. This is exactly why you come so highly recommend. Your stance is spot on and the success and well-being of the dog AND the potential adopters comes above all else. Keep doing you because we would have a lot fewer dogs in shelters if all rescues were as serious at finding the right fit for their pups as you are. So many people just dump their dogs as soon as the going gets tough because they had no idea of what they were getting into. Any dog that finds itself involved with this rescue is a lucky dog indeed as they will have a much greater chance of finding the perfect and forever home. Thank you so much for dedicating your life to the fur babies in need. You’re a good man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Libby! Thank you so much! Seriously, thank you so much for your support. Stay dry today!

      Delete
  2. How can i abobt a pitbull puppy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I very much appreciate your dedication when selecting the right home for the right dog. I was responsible for selecting new owners for my fosters and it was very difficult and often emotional. I have also been denied the ability to adopt a rescue so have been on both sides. My suggestions would be to give honest and exact reasoning for a denial while also offering options for the potential adopters to remedy their reasons for being denied.

    But what I feel is very important is to also be tactful and compassionate when denying anyone. I recently wanted a small dog to add to my pack but was rudely denied because I have a pitbull mix. There was no discussion, no asking about any training I may have had for my pet, no request for references from my Vet or neighbors, no regard for my 30 plus years in dog training or rescue. Upon receiving the 2nd round of requested information came an email saying "We see from your photographs you seem to have a pit bull. Application denied." They would not respond to any further emails. They are a VERY well known rescue with NO disclaimer anywhere on their website nor their publications regarding breed exemptions. That particular dog is STILL up for adoption after a year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve only heard one complaint about Steve (ok, maybe multiple but it was from the same person) 😬🤣 but I honestly sing his praises all the time (Steve, I got your back). My parents were turned down by other rescues over and over, which was frustrating, but I appreciate the care that goes into finding a good fit for both the family and the pup. I look back now and remind my folks about the small but very active pup or the super cute but kind of strong pup they “fell in love with.” My parents would have been miserable having to devote so much time to exercising an active pup. And I surly would have worried about my mom losing control of a pup that was stronger than her. You never really know what you’re gonna get with a rescue, so it’s important that TLRD takes over that responsibility and cares about proper placement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should be prepared to give your time and effort if you would want to have a pet. Especially those animals who have been mistreated by their previous owners. Those are the ones that might take some time to be ready to interact with humans again. But with the right amount of love and proper treatment. Even the deepest of wounds can be healed. I just got a dog from an orange county animal shelter and we got along very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently inquired about 2 separate puppies and was turned down for both of them. The thing that bothered me was I recieved no explanation or reasons to why I was turned down. All I was told was sorry but we didn't find you suitable for the adoption. I have 2 beautiful bluenose American Staffordshire Terriers ( bluenose pitbulls) and love them to death would go homeless (which I have done) in a heartbeat before giving any of them away. My male Poseidon i have had since he was 10 weeks old and he is 5 yrs old now and is the most loved besides Iris in the world. He is very obedient and loving dog and I had no special training on how to raise him I just treated him as a part of me. Gave him unconditional love but with strong discipline and he couldn't have a better life with anyone else. I recently adopted Iris who also is a American Staffordshire Terrier who had a very hard first year of her life from what the shelters vet told me. Whoever owned her before being picked up on the streets only used her for breeding and then fought her and this broke my heart for she is so loving and gentle. She came into my home a little skidish and very curious of my cats, which I had no idea if she was going to get along with them but I had the patience to give her time to adjust. She's now part of my family and would never give her up for nothing I said all this to say you never know how it will honestly work out for anyone from some questions that you ask. I'd give my life for any of my animals before I would a human and that's the truth. I'm told repeatedly my animals are the luckiest animals alive to have me as an owner for I love them more than anything in this world and would do anything to make sure they're happy and safe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fostering Saves Lives

Let Your Pup Decompress